Is Italy vegan friendly?
With the vegan lifestyle spreading around the world, Italy is also adapting to this philosophy. For this reason, in general, you can easily find vegan dishes in the main Italian cities.
Tuscany in particular has a pretty vegan friendly cuisine. If you visit Tuscany, you should feel pretty at ease with its menu, as it is mainly naturally vegan.
The dishes of the local tradition are simple and mostly based on vegetables.
The main vegan friendly Tuscan dishes
As we stated previously, the main dishes of Tuscan traditional cuisine are vegan.
The ones you should not miss are:
- Ribollita: a bread soup made with leftover bread and many vegetables as cannellini beans, lacinato kale, cabbage, carrot, potatoes and onions.
- Fagioli all’uccelletto: baked cannellini beans with garlic, sage and tomato sauce.
- Pappa al Pomodoro: tomato, bread, garlic and basil soup with some extra virgin olive oil.
- Pasta and beans
- Bruschetta with tomatoes and basil
- Castagnaccio: a typical Tuscan dessert made with chestnut flour, raisins, pine nuts, walnuts and rosemary.
- Cecina: a vegan and gluten free street food made with chickpea flour, water, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
These are just a few of the local, typical Tuscan dishes that are vegan friendly!
It is true that you will have no difficulty finding excellent vegan food, however there are some things you should be careful about.
Some of the dishes that most people think are vegans, they might not actually be. It is local habit to add lard or other animal derivates in the focaccia, pizza bianca, coccoli (fried pizza dough) or even schiacciata con l’uva (typical Tuscan dessert made with grapes).
For this reason, it is certainly better if you have a local vegan guide, expert in Florence vegan hot spots.
Enjoy your vegan food in Florence
Italy, Tuscany in particular, is a very vegan friendly place, with a lot of local vegan food.
While you visit Florence and Tuscany, enjoy the traditional vegan Tuscan cuisine matched with some great vegan wine, a must for every visitors!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!